Areas of Specialization
- Adult, Child and Adolescent psychiatry evaluation and treatment
- Psychiatric medication evaluation and management
- Concussion, traumatic brain injury and psychiatric Illness in athletes
- Individual Therapy With and Without Medication Management
- Second opinions and consultation
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (aka ADHD or ADD)
- Mood Disorders (Depression and Bipolar Disorder)
- Anxiety Disorder (GAD, Panic, OCD)
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder and Disruptive Behavior Disorders
For more information about me please read my website at alexstraussmd.com.
Alex Strauss, MD
"I am a physician who believes in getting to know you and your family in order to provide a comprehensive and thorough evaluation and personalized integrated treatment. The overall goal is to help relieve suffering and improve your quality of life."
Alex Strauss, M.D. is Board Certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN) in both Psychiatry and Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. He received his Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) from Northwestern University School of Medicine in Chicago, Illinois. He completed his Adult, Child and Adolescent residency and fellowship at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic (WPIC), (#12 Top Psychiatry Hospital U.S. News and World Report 2017) a part of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. At WPIC, he served as the chief resident for education and the chair of the academic, administrative, clinical educator track. During his time at WPIC, he received comprehensive training in the assessment and treatment of all varieties of psychiatric illness. He is a partner at Centra, Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and Consulting Sport Psychiatrist for Temple University Athletics. He has expertise in the use of psychiatric medication and psychotherapeutic techniques for the treatment of all age groups. He also has a special interest in the treatment of concussion and psychiatric illness in athletes.
- MD License New Jersey
- MD License Pennsylvania
- Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School 2014- current
- Regional Council of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry - Eastern Pennsylvania and Southern New Jersey
- Member of the Executive Committee in the role of Treasurer
- International Society for Sports Psychiatry (ISSP)
- New Jersey Psychiatric Association
- American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP)
- Distinguished Fellow of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
- Member of the Committee on Member Benefits
- Assembly Delegate 2014-2015
- American Psychiatric Association (APA)
- Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association
Selected Honors, Distinctions, Articles and Presentations
- Top Docs SJ Magazine 2016-2018
- Top Docs for Kids SJ Magazine 2015-2018
- Top Physicians South Jersey Magazine 2017
- Decreasing Youth Violence: MooreUnity for More Safety Presentation to Local Community, June 14th, 2018
- We Can See It Coming! Clinical Management of Violent Youth in the World of Outpatient Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. Presentation on October 25th, 2017 at the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry 64th Annual Meeting.
- Traumatic Brain Injury: Psychiatric and Educational Diagnosis and Management. Presentation at the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry 62nd, 63rd and 64th Annual Meetings.
- Concussion, Sports and Psychiatry Presentation on Wednesday October 22nd, 2014 at the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry 61stAnnual Meeting
- Treatment of the Psychiatric Component of a Concussion Presentation on June 7th, 2014 at the Rothman Institute at Jefferson Sports Medicine Symposium
- A Special Invited Article- Concussion, Sports and Psychiatry. Adolescent Psychiatry. 2013; 4 (3): 307-315
- Mild Traumatic Brain Injury (Concussion) Neuropsychiatric Complications and Treatment Options Presentation on September 28th, 2013 at the Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy and Psychopharmacology (CAPP) Conference as a part of the Regional Council of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- School Anxiety Disorders Presentation December 2nd, 2011 at Sequoia Alternative Program, Lenape Regional High School District
- Chief Resident for Education and Chair of the Academic Administrative Clinical Educator Track at WPIC 2009-2010
- Concussion, Sports and Psychiatry Grand Rounds April 2nd, 2010 Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Developed and presented on concussions, post concussive syndrome and the neuropsychiatric complications of mild traumatic brain injury
- AADPRT Annual Meeting Poster Presentation March 11th -15th, 2009 Self assessed psychotherapy competence and interest in residency Strauss A., Travis M. and Friedman E.
- Concussion Video Presentation October 30th, 2009 and February 5th, 2010 Allegheny Intermediate Unit a branch of the Pennsylvania Department of Education Developed and presented on concussions including second impact syndrome and post concussive syndromes
- Published abstract Makoul G, Strauss A Building therapeutic relationships during patient visits. J Gen Intern Med. 2003; 18 (1): 275.